What we do:
- Monitor and strengthen Title IX enforcement in Napa schools
- Work with Napa Valley Unified Equity Program
- Meet annually with local politicians
- Promote AAUW public policy issues through programs for members and the public
- Promote national issues through member updates and the Two-Minute-Activist program
Join us today in our Public Policy Program!
- Join the AAUW Action Network (see below). Our goal is to have 35 Napa AAUW members join. After you sign up, please let me know and we will post your name in the TWIG.
- Help with local Title IX study of high school compliance.
- Write letters to promote AAUW Public Policy Priorities.
Napa AAUW Public Policy Committee meets the first Wednesday of every month at 11:00 am at the United Methodist Church, 625 Randolph St. Napa (park in the back and enter in the door on the right from the parking lot). Please contact Joy Barnes if you would like to join us.
January 16, 2014
California Women’s Policy Summit Report
AAUW Priority Issues
- Urge the president to implement the anti-retaliation provisions of the Paycheck Fairness Act by executive order, banning federal contractors from retaliating against workers who ask about or share salary information.
- Pass the Paycheck Fairness Act (H.R. 377/S. 84) to give employees and employers the concrete tools they need to make real progress in closing the gender pay gap.
- Urge Congress to pass the Fair Minimum Wage Act (H.R. 1010/S. 460) which would gradually increase the minimum wage over the next three years from the current $7.25 until it eventually reaches $10.10. The minimum wage is a working woman’s issue – 56 percent of the workers who would benefit from this bill are women – and it is especially important for women of color.
- Urge Congress to pass the Family and Medical Insurance Leave Act (HR 3712) which would create a national insurance program funded by employee and employer contributions.
- Call on the House to reform the immigration system. The Senate has already acted; now it’s time for the House to update our broken immigration system.
Join the AAUW Action Network
Make your voice heard in just minutes. Subscribe to Action Network to receive urgent e-mail notices to contact your members of Congress or state representatives, find detailed information on legislation currently under consideration, and write letters to the editor of your local paper.
- Learn about California Two Minute Activist
- Sign up for California Two Minute Activist
- Learn about National Two Minute Activist
- Sign up for National Two-Minute Activist
Washington Update is AAUW’s free, members-only weekly e-bulletin. It offers an insider’s view on the legislative process, the latest policy news, resources for advocates, programming ideas, and updates from the Public Policy and Government Relations Department.
Other Great Resources: